Sunday, August 6, 2017

So I got a new tattoo...



I celebrated my 27th birthday last weekend.  It was a great weekend filled with love and fun with friends and family.  Oh yeah, and a new tattoo. 

Image may contain: one or more people and closeup
This tattoo, as with all of my tattoos, is really significant. This tattoo is a symbol of strength and fighting.  This tattoo is a symbol of life. The lotus is a widely known and used symbol that has many meanings.  For me, the lotus represents strength and stamina.  A lotus flower has to fight it's way through the mud and murk of a lake to reach the sunlight and continue to grow and bloom into a beautiful flower.  The stem of this tattoo is the national eating disorder recovery symbol.  And that is what my life has been for the past several months; recovering from an eating disorder.  

I don't want to get into the nitty gritty details for two reasons.  First, I don't want to trigger anyone reading this who may have similar stories.  Second, that is not my story anymore.  My story now is one of hope and healing. And a lot of fighting.  Some days are really easy, and the lies about food/exercise and its relation to my body are easily silenced.  And some days are really hard.  Some days I truly have to fight to make it through the day. But I do fight, because that is what it means to be in recovery, and that is my story now.  

And so I got this tattoo. To remember on the hard days the reason that I fight.  To be a visual reminder to me of where I've been, how far I'm come and where I hope to be someday. 

So here's to anyone fighting. You can fight and you can live in recovery. 

-AA 

No comments:

Post a Comment