Friday, March 28, 2014

Food for Thought...

I'm a quote person. I love finding compelling quotes and pondering them, or passing along encouraging quotes to my friends, or journaling about a particular thing that I read or heard that really got my mind going.

I also write a quote to dwell upon for the week on my bathroom mirror. Now this may sound odd, I guess, but think of all the not-awkard-to-talk-about time you spend in the bathroom. Washing your face, getting ready for work, doing your hair, brushing your teeth, washing your hands, putting on makeup...the list goes on. So the bathroom mirror, for me and my routines, is a good place to put something that I want to see and think about. For me, doing my hair doesn't take much thought, as the motions are pretty much muscle memory at this point. The same with brushing my teeth...or any number of things on that list I just mentioned.

This week's quote has just really stuck in my mind, and I've found myself dwelling on it a lot:
"Strive not to be successful, but to be of value."
 [Albert Einstein]
 
This idea of being a person of value has just really caused me to stop and think about my life, and how many things are deterring me from being of value. Wasting time watching shows on Netflix for hours at a time, instead of being productive, or getting enough sleep so I can alert at work the next morning. Making decision based solely on me and not considering the far reaching effects of buying that candy bar that supports slave labor just because I'm craving candy. Spending money on clothes and shoes when I don't even wear half of what I own already. Just normal, everyday things that are hindering me from being a person of value.
 
 
I encourage you to ponder this quote in your own life, and maybe make some simple changes to help you become a person of value, instead of just striving to be "successful".
 
 
Continuing to ponder,
-AA

No comments:

Post a Comment