Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Beauty in Brokenness



When I think of something that's broken, beauty isn't the first thing that comes to mind. Usually when something shatters into pieces, that item gets tossed out. It is no longer useful when it is fragmented. 

But when it comes to us as human beings, brokenness can be beautiful. 


I was reminded of this concept of the possibility of beauty in brokenness earlier this morning. To make a long story short, I was looking at pictures of mosaics, and thought about how amazing they are. All of these tiny pieces of broken material, shaped and formed into something beautiful. And as I was looking through all of these gorgeous pieces of art, it hit me. We are mosaics. Sure, we are broken and fragmented, but those pieces are forming together to make a masterpiece.  We might not see it; looking up close at the pieces in a mosaic doesn't show you the true beauty formed by those fragments.  But when you step back and see all of those shards and pieces put together, beauty unfolds.  

You might be in a season of complete brokenness, as I am.  There are days when all I can see is a single, fragmented piece of glass, and I have no idea how things are possibly going to get better or work out. I may be broken, but that brokenness is beautiful.  

Sometimes that beauty is brought by those in our lives.  The more people to whom I open up about my current season of brokenness, the more I am surrounded by love, help and hope. And that is beautiful.  

Sometimes that beauty is intrinsic in minor victories. Those moments where you can clearly see yourself fighting; you can see your own strength. And that is beautiful. 

And sometimes that beauty is in external things. a thought that hits us at just the right time, a song that we needed to hear, a quote that gets us through the day. And that is beautiful. 

There is beauty in brokenness. We may not understand it, and we may not always see it, but our broken pieces are being formed into something spectacular. 

-A.A. 

No comments:

Post a Comment