Wednesday, August 5, 2015

How Many Slaves are Working for You?

It's so easy to think about modern-day slavery as an "out there" problem; one that we can avoid and ignore as something that doesn't affect our day to day lives.  But if you truly believe that your everyday life isn't impacted by slavery, you are living in a fantasy world.

Think about everything you've done so far this morning.  The products you used to shower, wash your face, brush your teeth.  The makeup you put on.  The clothes you are wearing.  The food that you've eaten.  Chances are, most, if not all, of these things involved slave labor at one point or another in their production process.

Think I'm exaggerating or blowing this whole slavery issue out of proportion?  Take a few minutes to work through the quiz at slaveryfootprint.org. This is a great tool to see just how close to home this issue of modern day slavery hits.  My slavery footprint is 59.  That's 59 slaves working for me in the clothes I buy, the products I use, and the food that I eat. That's 59 people too many, and it is not OK.

As you move through this quiz, you will be provided with a number of helpful facts and statistics about modern day slavery, and ways that you can help move towards global freedom.  At the end you have the chance to send a form letter to several major brands, asking them to adhere to ethical production standards.  All you have to do is fill in your name.  Unless you are an exceptionally slow typist, it literally takes a few seconds.

I encourage you to take the time to find out how many slaves you have working for you on a day to day basis, and then do something about it!  With knowledge comes responsibility....

"We are not called to be an abolitionist, we are commanded to be an abolitionist." 
[Don Brewster]

What we do matters.  Let's move beyond ourselves and our own conveniences and comforts and move towards making a positive impact on the world through our actions.  Over the next few weeks, I will be highlighting several companies that I love to support, companies that uphold ethical business practices, through which they are changing the world.  I don't want to have any slavery footprints in my life.  I hope that you will join me in seeking to become a more ethical consumer, and, consequently, in changing the world, one small choice at a time.

Ready to change,
-AA

No comments:

Post a Comment